Groups can be examined with respect to family values and religious orientation, as shown in Table 9. Considering the table as a whole, the striking feature is how little variation there is. The greatest percentage point difference between any of the six groups is 12. The significance of this is enhanced if we recall that the occupational and income differences for the same six groups (Table 8) were quite pronounced, at least between the extreme two groups, Short Exposure Migrants and Second Generation Natives.
Family Values and Religious Orientation for Migratory Status Groups,a Monterrey Men, Mexico, 1965
Short Exposure Migrants
Medium Exposure Migrants
Long Exposure Migrants
1. Divorce 33
3. Wife makes
4. Children may
with parents 12
FAMILY VALUES (percent selecting "modern" response)13
33 33 33 34
Little or not at all religious
Never attended church
14 9 20 21
10 8 12 7
47 43 51 46
39 37 43 42
32 56 14
aSee Table 7.
bThose respondents who say they "most agree" with the first alternative of the following five choices:
1. a. If a husband and wife are not happy, they can divorce each other, b. Marriage is sacred and should never end in divorce.
2. a. If they want to or need to, parents can limit the number of children, b. Parents should never limit the number of children.
3. a. A wife should make her own decisions, even when she disagrees with husband, b. A good wife is one who always obeys her husband.
4. a. On some occasions, children should be permitted to disagree with parents.
b. The most important thing for a child to learn is obedience and respect for the authority of his parents.
5. a. The obligation of a man is only to support his wife and children.
b. Aside from supporting his wife and children, a man's obligation is also to help his relatives whenever he can, since they too are part of the family.rms of exclusive social and cultural systems. If this were literally true, then rural-urban migrants would be forced to abandon whole sets of normative expectations and to take up new ones-an enormous challenge, especially for adults.